A few more observations, this time specifically about the transport here, which I think is very fascinating! The Napoletani knows how to get around.
1. Everyone has a car
Even though considering the amount of traffic blockades, it’s not exactly the easiest way to get around.
2. Scooters own the place!
They will slalom their way in and out of cars, meanwhile honking their horn to alert drivers ahead that they’re coming and they ain’t stopping for no one!
3. Up to 4 people may fit on a scooter
Adult-kid-adult-kid or kid-adult-kid-adult. Depending on personal preferences I guess.
4. Tunnel symphonies is a delicate art
I stuck in traffic in the middle of a tunnel, start honking your horn along with the other cars and watch the dance of the scooters, that pass you.
5. If you’re walking to your destination, you’re most likely an Alien
For more on Alien behaviour, please check out my previous post
6. If you do decide to walk and need to cross a road without traffic lights, follow these guidelines
Keep your head high and look the drivers straight in the eyes while crossing. They will stop. They might honk at you, but they’ll stop. The scooters however, will not stop. But they’ll drive around you. While honking. Making hand-gestures. Maybe curse a bit at you. Doesn’t matter. It’s in Italian, you probably don’t understand if you’re an Alien.
7. If you want to cross a road wit traffic lights, you may wait for a green light
But be sure to still follow the guidelines in point 6
8. Taking public transport is a bit of a gamble
As mentioned in my previous post, buses and trains don’t really follow any schedule. You can wait up to an hour for your bus, while three buses going the other direction passes you.
9. 5 cars can fit on a 3 lane road
It’s not a matter of how many lanes the road has. If 5 cars can fit, 5 cars will drive next to each other. Don’t worry about sticking to a lane either. Cross between them in whatever manner gets you ahead the fastest.
10. The most important of all – if something or someone bothers you in the traffic – just honk at the bitches!